In 2021 we launched our Pupil Parliament initiative as part of our commitment to put our pupils at the heart of everything we do.
All schools within the #EMATters family now have at least two elected members who are attending regular sessions to debate upon meaningful and weighty matters of concern at their schools and local communities. We believe that all children have both the right and ability to help lead the Executive Team in shaping future initiatives which will affect their own education.
Through the development of their own leadership and communication skills, our Executive is able to collect and respond to pupil voice and strengthen their understanding of what steps need to be taken to meet our vision statement that 'every child deserves to be the best that they can be'.
Through the Pupil Parliament pupils are given the opportunity to bring the thoughts and ideas of their peer group to the forum. They develop the belief in our schools that they have the right to an opinion but the responsibility to listen to others, preparing them for the next step in their education and their life beyond. The Parliament has five meetings a year and a Chair, Vice-Chair and Secretary voted annually by the Pupil Parliament members.
Current Pupil Parliament members
Following elections, we are pleased to announce that the members of the EMAT Pupil Parliament for 2023/24 are:
- Northampton International Academy - Corrina, Lexus, Kyla and Nigel
- Prince William School - Lana and Ben
- Stimpson Avenue Academy - Mohammed and Amedeea
- Hardingstone Academy - Jaylen and Norah
- Castle Academy - King and Darius
- Shepherdswell Academy - Eylul and Tianna
- Orchard Academy - Muqadas and Maxim
Pupil Parliament priorities 2023/24
- Environment including school energy usage and trying to be greener
- Inclusion including British values
Expectations of members
- As members of the EMAT Pupil Parliament we like to make sure that everyone is listened to, their voices and opinions are heard and that we respect the things that others are saying. We understand that we are role models for each other and the wider pupil body.
- We will all listen to each other’s ideas
- We will all participate
- We will not talk over each other
- We will not act inappropriately as we understand that this is an important meeting
- We will try to make all EMAT schools the best they can be for all pupils, staff and parents
- We will remember the values of EMAT and work towards the purpose of 'every child deserves to be the best that they can be'